Submitted by Danny Smith
Operating under the classic notion that ‘there’s a sucker born every minute,’ the charlatans cast their wide net with a mass spamming, betting that statistically there will be a portion of people in the net vulnerable and naive enough to send them money (senior citizens, the young and inexperienced, or Internet n00bs). Since both homemakers and work-from-home moms (and dads) are often looking to supplement their income with unique opportunities that fit their family’s schedule and needs and since there is no single place on earth that abounds with more spammy solicitations than the interwebs–Mom Audience believes we should try and make it easier to discern fruitful opportunities from the shady ones.
We’ve added a Spam Alerts category so that we can help inform you of any new or particularly pernicious schemes, scams and spams. But for starters, let’s just review the basic fundamentals of spotting these unwholesome propositions.
Liars, liars, pants on fire
- If it’s too good to be true
- If you have to invest money up front for a kit or supplies
- If it’s solely based on getting other people to sign up/invest like you (pyramid scheme)
- If it says it’s super easy and fun
- If it asks you to do something illegal like launder a third world prince’s money through your bank
- If you hover over the link address and it doesn’t match with what you’re asked to click
- If it acts like you’re best friends or specifically chosen with no logical reason for trust or flattery
- If they don’t have a real, permanent address and their contact info. is elusive and convoluted
- If they make ridiculous claims of making you egregiously wealthy with almost no effort or capital
Don’t just block these knuckleheads, do society a favor and report them. Add their name and a description of the scam to some of the websites that archive them–which, by the way, are great sources that you can compare notes with if you suspect an offer of being a scam (most likely, if you Google the solicitor’s name + the word “spam,” you’ll hear from others who’ve been burned).